Adding College Courses to Your Growing Futures Record
College courses can be added to your Growing Futures record and counted as training toward childcare licensing under the following circumstances:
- The course was completed at an accredited college or university in the United States
- The course provided at least one semester hour of credit
- The course content was 80% specific to the Early Childhood period. NOTE: Development, learning, and teaching in the birth-8 years age range is unique and distinct from development and teaching practices in the elementary grades. Therefore, most K–6 coursework does not meet the 80% criteria and is not added to Growing Futures records. However, degrees in elementary education are included in the system as “related” degrees.
- The course is shown on your official transcript sent directly to the Registry by the institution that issued the credits; see Send Documents or College Transcripts
- You successfully completed the course with a letter grade of “C” or higher
NOTE: College courses that are listed on another state’s registry record and submitted to Growing Futures via an Individual Training Request form will be added to your Growing Futures record as Level 1 clock hour courses and as such, will not factor into your Career Pathways placement. If you want these courses to appear on your Growing Futures record as Level 3 courses and factored into your Career Pathways placement, you must have an official transcript sent directly to the Growing Futures Registry from the college or university that issued the credits.
If you completed one or more courses that met the criteria above within your program’s licensing year, the courses will be counted toward your annual childcare licensing training requirements. Note that one semester credit is equal to 15-clock hours of training.
Accepted courses are also applied toward your Growing Futures Career Pathways placement. While all Early Childhood courses are applied toward your Career Pathways placement, only Early Childhood courses completed within the previous twenty (20) years are added to your permanent training record. Courses completed under a quarter credit system are adjusted to semester credit values.
If you are or have attended a North Dakota college or university, it’s important to know that the North Dakota Early Childhood Higher Education Consortium has developed common course numbering that allows Early Childhood Education (ECE) credits to easily transfer between most North Dakota colleges and universities. A number of these courses have been identified as accepted by the Growing Futures Registry toward Career Pathways placement as well as for licensing training hours, and licensers may refer to that list of courses. Please note that the courses identified in the list provided by the Higher Education Consortium are just a starting point. In fact, any Early Childhood course completed at an accredited college or university in the United States with a letter grade of "C" or higher can be added to your Growing Futures professional record and will be applied toward childcare licensing if completed in the current licensing year.
If you completed college courses or a degree outside of the United States, your transcripts will first need to be evaluated by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) before those credits can be accepted by the Growing Futures Registry or added to your Growing Futures training record. Please visit www.naces.org to see a complete list of transcript evaluation services. We request a comprehensive course by course evaluation where all degrees are converted to US equivalencies. Please have the official evaluation sent to the Registry by the evaluation service at email@example.com.